Sunday, July 02, 2006

[Updated] Superman Returns is NOT worth your money...

This is an updated version of this post

So yes, we spent a good three hours (2h 40m + waiting) of our lives that we will never get back watching Superman Returns. I won't drone on, because my film recommendations are probably not all that influential, but basically this is perhaps the worst case of "failure to live up to hype" that I have experienced with a film (well, with the exception of the critically acclaimed "Legionaire" (Nick, you know what I'm talking about)). For you marketing folks, this is severe disconfirmation of expectations. And guess what, I'm dissatisfied! (So the "gap" model works, shock horror; what's worse is my use of anecdotal evidence to support a theory.)

Briefly, the fundamental problem with "SR" (absence of plot aside, which is to be expected for all but a few films nowadays) is that the guy who plays the Man of Steel has NO on-screen presence. This guy has no personality. In fact, I did wonder if it was clever Hollywood trickery casting a computer-generated image as the title lead character. But no, the actor is in fact a real person, but he could be mistaken for a lump of wood. So it is kind of hard to get behind his battle against evil (Kevin Spacey is the only saving grace in this one) when the hero has no presence, personality, or flair. Actually, the only strong character trait that comes through with this character is that he has been a deadbeat dad!

Well, I'll end my gripe there. I will say one thing that it has going for it - the opening credit sequence will be a wonderful theme park simulator ride (can't help think that was the plan).

Let's hope Superman doesn't return again anytime soon (oh but his son might...grrr).

1 Comments:

Blogger andrewstephen said...

Really don't see it. If it makes US$200 million then Warner Bros. will produce a sequel. If it doesn't reach this target then no sequel. (I heard this on TV tonight.)

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home