Wednesday, June 21, 2006

NYC declared the world's politest city...

...beat that Reykjavik! (sorry, this is an old joke that perhaps one or two, max., readers will get.)

Read this entry on Gothamist about it: NYC is polite

Of course, we have what's called an "aggregation bias" here - obviously not all people in NYC are extremely polite; in fact, we have a fairly extreme heterogeneous population here, but that's what makes it fun. That said, I don't know of another city that I have been in where the beggars/homeless folks say "Thank you, have a nice day" after you have turned down their request for small change (and sometimes you even get a "God bless you" if you're particularly lucky).

I know that NYC has a bit of a bad reputation for rude, super-busy people, all of whom are at least a little bit crazy, but fortunately it isn't that way at all. And crime is very low for such a large city (ignore the random spate of subway stabbings last week, though). But things have changed, and the "dark NYC" perception is tres-1980s!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home