Heat wave (ohhh scary!)
Hi there. For the last couple of days we've been in a "dangerous heat emergency" (that's the official term for it). Temperatures have been in the high 30s, with "feels like" temps in the low 40s. It has sent NYers into somewhat of a "tizz" - the poor things. Now I personally am never a fan of heat - give me a snowy winter any day - but this is kind of a novelty for me. See, it isn't particularly humid (well, not by Queensland standards). Rather it is a more dry-feeling heat, so it is like walking around in an oven. Which isn't particularly fun.
The more serious issue is the power grid. Will it hold up? So far so good - but only because large consumers of electricity in the city and surrounds have been made to curb consumption (so no lights on the Empire State Building at night, for example).
Tomorrow is meant to be cooler - mid-30s. What a relief ;-) As I write this it says it is 31 degrees here, and 16 degrees in Brisbane (9:14am in BNE). And I bet the place is filled with people in heavy-ish coats, thick sweaters, and (chuckle chuckle) people wearing scarves ;P Chilly morning, hey? Well come to NYC - the big roasted apple.
The more serious issue is the power grid. Will it hold up? So far so good - but only because large consumers of electricity in the city and surrounds have been made to curb consumption (so no lights on the Empire State Building at night, for example).
Tomorrow is meant to be cooler - mid-30s. What a relief ;-) As I write this it says it is 31 degrees here, and 16 degrees in Brisbane (9:14am in BNE). And I bet the place is filled with people in heavy-ish coats, thick sweaters, and (chuckle chuckle) people wearing scarves ;P Chilly morning, hey? Well come to NYC - the big roasted apple.

3 Comments:
Hi Andrew,
Well, you know how much English people like to go on about the weather (more than Victorians), it would be good to get them (the english) moaning again over here in coolish London. Right now, it has cooled down a lot (maximum in the low 20's) but if there is heat in NYC, it should be coming our way soon (I think weather patterns still go from West to East in the Northern Hemisphere).
Fingers crossed! SUMMER IS NOT OVER.
ha fingers crossed till it melts the polar ice caps the floods both the islands you guys are on.
At least there will be more fresh water about..
Melting ice caps... Indeed an inconvenient truth!
I think the NYers also like to whinge about weather. In fact, I think Americans tend to be weather-obsessed. But they seem to have quite sophisticated forecasting equipment at all the TV networks, so it is useful weather - e.g., "It might rain during the evening commute today, so take an umbrella."
And yes, Callan, I think you'll get some of the hot air mass that we had - it first caused mischief in California, then the mid-west, then here.
Post a Comment
<< Home